Saturday, January 18, 2014

6. Mayhew's Pasta Sauce

I begin with onions. These I brown almost to the point of caramelization, about 35-45 minutes. If you cook the onions long enough you don't have to chop them finely. When they are almost done, I add some other vegetables, like red bell peppers, poblanos, and olives, then the spices, herbs, and garlic. Spices are cayenne, cumin, a little curry powder. Herbs might be a standard Italian blend and / or basil. Then a large can of crushed tomatoes and the Italian sausage I have browned in another pan. I add some of the salted, starchy water from the pasta I happen to be cooking. Then the sauce simmers down for half an hour to 45 minutes.

No photo for this one. Use your imagination.

For vegetarian: omit sausage
For vegan: omit ssusage, don't top with cheese.

Quantities: 1 onion / a few cloves of garlic / a few ounces of sausage / 1 can of tomatoes / other veggies in proportion. Use half a box of pasta shells or rotini. For one person halve all amounts.

No comments:

Post a Comment