Thursday, January 16, 2014

Philosophical

Cooking, for me, is about sharing good food with people you love. I dislike cooking with most things out of a can, but I will use chipotle peppers or other specialty items. Fresh ingredients are ideal. I like balancing flavors, aromas, textures, and colors. I rarely follow recipes, so I will narrate what I cook rather than telling you how to do it.

I make no pretense to being a great cook. I want to improve (continually) even though my food taste good (to me) already. I believe in taking my time for things that require that, but being efficient. My cooking is fairly effortless. I either put something in the oven that will cook itself in a given time, or cook rapidly with a grill pan or skillet.

My food is mostly healthy and balanced, but I look first to taste and enjoyment. I believe in looking for health through taste.

I like, in no particular order, pungent foods (onion, garlic, horseradish, mustard), spice (cumins, paprika, Indian spices), hot peppers and hot sauces, savory gravies, stews, and sauces, salmon, pork loin, chicken when not dried out or fried, sauces made from wines, beers, and other beverages, blueberries, chocolate, coffee (to drink or cook with), limes and lemons, potatoes and tomatoes, green vegetables, especially spinach, asparagus, and broccoli, cheeses, olives!,eggs, pastas, Mexican foods, Thai and Chinese cuisines, sushi. There are few foods I don't like. These tend to be sweet, or store-bought pre-made items, like low quality bread.

I am not a good photographer, or good at making my food look good on the plate. I think it is important, but I'm simply not good at it yet. The images here will improve as I go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment